Tuesday, June 17, 2014

GREAT BOOK TO READ - THE LIE BY HESH KESTIN

     Another book you might want to read. It is extremely ripped from the headlines, only this was published before the current crisis of the three kidnapped boys in Israel. It is a small, fast reading book, but the questions it raises are not so quick to disappear. Similar to The German Suitcase book, it raises questions of morality, fate, the unforeseen consequences of actions years down the line, nurture vs. nature, moral relativism, exigent circumstances and the list can go on. Yet with all these issues, it is simply a gripping story and you will not want to put it down. The library has it in its floating division so it can be reserved right here at Okeechobee library. It is well worth the read - and while you read, please keep the three boys in mind and the terror, and G-d forbid, the pain and torment, in which they find themselves. Think of your own child as you read this book.  Powerful indeed.
     As you read the book you are not sure what the lie is and still not sure even after. We all lie to each other and to ourselves, sometimes without realizing or acknowledging it, and if only we could accept truth,  - but that is for another person to write about. I am not that gifted. Or that sure of what the truth is in many circumstances. I only know what I think and believe.
     Just as an aside, when I recommend a book, I will not give a summary of it. For myself, I find that annoying. I would rather page thru the book myself and peek at the back page if I so desire, but not know the whole story beforehand. Just the way I think and since I am writing this....

No comments:

Post a Comment