Sunday, November 22, 2015

OPINION PIECE FROM LINDA GRAFF

     This was written by Linda Graff upon her firing from UCO. Not to worry, Linda, you are in good company. And Ken - you stand by your wife as you should. Loyalty is important. As is truth.


Opinion Piece
by Linda Graff

When I became a full time resident of Century Village, I immediately felt welcomed. I made friends, became involved in the many social activities and clubs that are available here, and I enjoy the amenities very much.

I also made it my business to give back -  to volunteer some of my time and effort to the community that had so welcomed me. At UCO, I was assigned to work at the reception desk where I was trained to greet and direct visitors and manage incoming phone calls. I have worked in service professions throughout my life; it was my pleasure to perform this job professionally and with a smile. I enjoyed meeting and working with my neighbors.

Imagine my surprise, when I showed up at UCO for my scheduled work day and was told that, “The snowbirds are back.”  My services were no longer needed. I was told that I could reapply for my job in May. In other words, I was fired. Eventually, realizing that I really had no reason to be in the office (a new volunteer was already sitting in my seat) , I left. I had nothing else scheduled for that morning, so I went home. So much for giving back.

It took a few days for me to get over this incident. My feelings are hurt, but I am also angry. Why would any year-round resident volunteer at UCO if they know that they might be fired when the snowbirds return? I have worked at volunteer jobs all my life. Having more volunteers than work is a good thing. Couldn’t all of the available people be scheduled? A once-per-week slot could be made into a once every other week slot. Two days per week could become one day per week during the winter. Everybody works, no one's feelings are hurt and, most importantly, the work gets done. Next Spring, I expect that UCO will be shorthanded again and put out a call for new volunteers. I will not answer that call. One day, no one will. It’s just a matter of time.


No comments:

Post a Comment