Friday, March 23, 2018

GAM ZOO L"TOVAH

     Correct. This is not English. It is Hebrew and is a statement in Judaism that expresses much. Its literal meaning is "this too is for the good".  When something happens, when an event that is awful occurs, this is what the faithful say. It is probably one of the hardest statements one ever makes and many times it goes along with another statement of faith. Baruch Dayan Emet. Blessed be the True Judge. Said upon hearing of the death of someone.
     Yesterday, hard as it was to actually say it to myself, I was able to state the first statement and hopefully the second will not be necessary for quite some time! I spent much of the late afternoon and early evening in a special event with special people. These are the people who now affirm my life, my continued part in life, tell me that I am still of value, that much remains for me and mine.
     I was at a fund raising program for Parkinson's Disease and other related neuro degenerative and motor disorders. Sad, right? Seeing people walk in with difficulty, very slowly, with hesitant steps, or being pushed in a chair or holding on to someone. Some had difficulty speaking for this is how they were affected. Others had stiff facial muscles which did not allow for emotions to come through clearly. But all had a sense of belonging, of hope, of sharing.
     A dance competition was held, though believe me, it was not about the competition but about the joy of dance, the freedom of movement it gave one, the sharing of the moment with an audience that was 100% cheering on the participants and the members of the audience. From the sounds of laughter and the roar of the applause, one would think there was nothing wrong here - and yet there was. But watching a Rabbi afflicted with PD dance with a woman who has given so much to so many, given us hope, freedom of movement, an ability to continue to take joy in dance, Judith Simon, - to watch this was to tear up and admire the courage of the rabbi.
     Both before and after the program there was a mingling of people who knew and did not know each other and yet did we not for all had a connection to this awful syndrome, all were looking for camaraderie, for advise, for sharing of feelings.
     And it was then that I understood that this too is for the good. I have entered a new world, a world composed of people who are among the bravest I have ever known. A world filled with people who care so much, who have the patience to work with those who need building up, who need to be appreciated for their inner selves and not their damaged workings, a place where one strives to reach ever higher and higher.
     I have met so many wonderful and blessed people. Jody and Ed who run the Movement Therapy clinics that have given so much to so many and who give of their time to raise funds for the Parkinson fighting efforts. Savannah, Kaitlyn, Lillian, Amber, and I could continue to list the names of people who have become members of my world, G-d help them, and I love them for what they have given me, allowed - no, encouraged - me to feel, to have faith in myself, to laugh again, to crack jokes and to be my annoying self. And a major thank you and recognition of their generosity is the Jupiter Fred Astaire Studio and Dancers who gave of themselves for this event.
     In short, I have discovered a new world of new friends, of new hopes, of new partners and this world has allowed entry for my friends from before. I thank my friend, Olga, for coming to this event. She is a woman I admire and her attendance was very meaningful to me. Thank you. And most of all, I realize that I am blessed with Gerry, who understands that this is my life now and it must be incorporated into our old one and so he does as all the other partners I see. These partners in life to PD sufferers have changed their lives, making time to drive, to observe, to encourage and to simply love.
     How could this be bad? Would I have preferred perhaps not learning of this other world? Of course, for to say otherwise is to lie, but remember the silver linings? Well, there is one here and I owe a tremendous Hakarat HaTov - a recognition of all the good they have done for me and so many others - so bless you all.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment