Friday, March 30, 2018

DO SOULS DISAPPEAR?

     Interesting controversy going around now. Allegedly, the Pope was asked where "bad souls went" and his response was that those who repent will be forgiven and those who do not will simply disappear. Apparently many then interpreted this as stating that hell does not exist.  Hmmm. What does that do to people and their thoughts and behavior? Is Hell the place of nothingness, the absence of all life, no afterlife?
     What about those who seemingly have no soul here on this earth, this life? Or is it that some are simply ignoring the soul they were given and the responsibility it entails?  Whew, feel as if I am back in one of those talk sessions of college days when we were going to solve all the woes of the world.
     Seriously, no one has come back to tell us whether there is or isn't anything after physical death? Yes, there are stories, and yes, there are dreams and even visions, but who knows.When I dreamed of a grandparent telling me that all would be well, was that wishful thinking or real? Does it even matter? 
     Aren't we just supposed to recognize the humanity within us and act accordingly? Are we not to impose cruelty on others? And no, we do not have to love all others. I think that is an insanity to think that could happen, but surely we can appreciate the humanity in all of us? Surely this malicious push against immigrants is wrong, is divisive and proper behavior and thinking and actions should not depend upon an afterlife but upon living life properly, here, in this world. And, I guess, thinking that if one is "bad" that there would be nothing afterwards, while others go on - well, perhaps that would do it.
     I do not know who is right or wrong. I am hoping there is an afterlife, hoping that I will see friends, loved ones, my parents and grandparents once again and it gives me an amusing strength to think of my father so passionately arguing with G-d about the wrongs of the world and how something need be done!!
     In any case, believing or not, it is incumbent upon us to be good people. Not angels, but good people. Leave maliciousness out of the mix. Treat all with respect if they have earned it and teach those who have not how to do so. Just be decent! Why not? Bottom line - has anyone gained any thing positive and long lasting by being nasty and cruel? I think not, for even while in power there is always fear of being overthrown, of being assassinated, and then it always comes to an end.
     Bottom line. If there is no feeling of self pride, of doing the right thing, of feeling a sense of comraderie with others, then why the hell do it? I am selfish, for I like to feel good about my deeds, about my words, about what I am. Therefore, I bottom line life. Is it a good thing, something which will hopefully lead to something positive or not? If not, then bottom line - do not do it. If words are at times harsh, let them have a purpose in the harshness. Bottom line - something has to come from something and it had better be the right thing. The only way to go.
     And as for hell and is existence - there are many versions of hell. Hopefully, the good in me will outweigh the bad. Do we not all hope so? Thus don't get too excited about the alleged words of the Pope and the interpretation given them. Just be good, as best you can and let the rest take care of itself. Enjoy the holidays. Love your family. Laugh with your friends. Life can be good.
      Due to the holiday, I will not be posting new on Saturday or Sunday, so please, take the time to go back and read some postings you might have missed.  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment