Friday, September 21, 2018

AMERICA, REDEEM THYSELF

     I can remember watching the Anita Hill/Clarence Thomas hearings. I remember cringing at the disrespect, the contempt with which Anita Hill was treated, to which she was subjected. And I know the damage that this man has done in his term of office on the Supreme Court, a man who never says a word, asks a question, just consistently votes for the backwards, the harmful, the retrogressive. He and the Congress disgraced themselves.
     Now Congress has a chance to redeem itself, to allow America to redeem itself. These old hearings and the time or year of Ford's horrific experience all took place during a time of hedonism, of boys - and men - will be as they are, accepted and smiled at, never thinking of the harm and the crushing of the soul of the one who is truly the aggrieved victim.
     Trump, as usual, demands to know why she did not call the FBI 36 years ago when it happened. What an idiot!! This simply illustrates, or highlights, yet one more time that we see how much of a disgusting ass our so called president is. He is a true disgrace and he disgraces us all.
     Ford has every right to be afraid of her possible and even likely treatment at  hearing. If the men had their druthers it would take place in an inquisitor style, pushing and demanding and hectoring and showing absolute disbelief  or actually, knowing that they too could have been guilty of this. And yes, teenagers do dumb things, boys and girls alike, but no, attempted rape is not a 'dumb' thing. It is a stain on a character, a blot, that is indelible and certainly, this man who had papers about him hidden from view by the committee Republicans, who refused to answer how he would react to a Roe v. Wade issue, and many other critical and crucial areas, this man simply does not belong on the bench. Not again with another Thomas. Not again with a court that will take us back to the old and bad days of yore.
     Much of the polls are showing that the majority of Americans do not wish this man confirmed into office. They realize that it is time for America to redeem its soul. It is time for the two Republican women, Collins and Murkowski, remember that they too had terrible moments in their lives that remain quiet, sunk deeply into their hearts and the same for those wishy washy Democrat Senators who are afraid of their constituents. Be leaders, for Pete's sake!! 
     And why did she not call? At 15, to call the cops, not very warm and accepting were they, on a rich boy, for a 'boys will be boys' act? Oh no, Never. And never did I for many a year tell of my first harassment in a dark room and my running out, wondering what I had done wrong to be on the receiving end of this behavior. And no, nothing physical happened, but trust me, I was damaged for many a year and still cringe at the 14 year old I was then. And never did it ever cross my mind to report these boys who were four years older than I to the administration. Never! What would my parents have said? What would my circle of friends have said? Would I be the talk of the tables in the community? Nope, just stay quiet.
     And yet another incident on an almost empty train and that was scary, what could have been and then to see the behavior of some people who should have known better, to be the recipient of queasy touching every time I had to go to a particular place and note that I still will not say the name and it was only a few years ago that I told Gerry. My reaction at that time was to doubt myself. How could it be? The man was well known in the community, respected, yet I knew what was happening. So I took myself out of that particular picture and kept quiet. And no, you idiot Donald, I did not call the cops or the FBI or anyone else. It simply was not done!!
     So kudos to Professor Ford. Brava for her courage in speaking out, knowing what would happen. Shame on those creeps who threaten her and her family. Thanks to those who stand up for her, confirming the possibility, the aura of the times, the knowledge of those students of the time.
     And as for Congress, the Senators, America - time to redeem our souls. Time to make up for the wrong done to women over the years and years of torment, of aggravated assault not only by attacks, but by attitudes. Time for the Republicans to stop being partisan and simply be men and women of conscience and do the right thing. Finally! Enough already with this behavior and professed exaggerated disbelief that such a thing could happen and by such a 'noble' man. Stop already and do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment