Friday, August 23, 2019

MEMORIES

     There are times when one must put aside the woes and troubles that beset us and turn to memories, happy, sad, and mixed. It is what keeps our connections firm and strong to our history and to our sanity. And at times these memories seem to conspire to melt one altogether in a perfect storm of their own kind.
     Yesterday and today seem to be the days of memories in a perfect storm in my case. In Parkinsons there is often a time called "off". It is when, through no wish of the person at all, there can be a cloud which seems to hang around. Moods are grayed and there is often an accompanying physical side as well. No one's fault - just happens. So one tries to work through it and hopefully, the mood begins to lighten.
     Just as I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, I get 25 photos of a house in the midst of destruction. Alarmed at first, I thought something had happened near my daughter, but after perusing them all, I realized that this was the home of my parents, my childhood and much of my life as a grownup. The same for the grandchildren who used to visit there often, able to walk there without a problem.
     The house had been sold by my brother, but there in the destroyed rooms I grew up in, in the remnants of my memories, I grew sad again. I imagined my parens watching from above, my mom crying, my dad contemplative. They were young when they bought this house and I can remember my dad taking me to see the house and another one and voice my opinion. I was honored. And they were so happy and proud of their signal achievement.
     We all built memories there, adults and children. Funny, sad, musings, whatever, but were they now gone along with the physical plant? My  parents have been gone since 2005 and 2012 but yet they are still here, in my heart and mind, in the minds of my children and their children as they were lucky enough to have known and loved them and been loved by them. These memories will remain in the family lore.
     Then today. I realized the date and here we go again. Aug. 23. My parents' wedding anniversary, a union of souls, hearts and minds. A true match made in heaven and their love was clear to all.  Then another anniversary on this date. Gerry and I got engaged on this day in honor of their anniversary and I can still see their faces as we surprised them, along with Gerry's parents who were also there. Another beautiful couple. The memories were wonderful, added to by the next day's office celebration. I was working there for the summer, and then half time for the year.  
     Good memories. Happy ones, sometimes tinged with sadness. Memories that tie us to the past, to the chain of family ancestors, to our history as a Jewish chain which has kept its identity throughout the ages. Memories to keep us strong in times of need and unhappiness.
     So today I put aside the woes of the world, the woes of our country and just keep smiling and thinking and loving all that has gone on in my life and all that it has engendered, good, bad, sad - all, for that is the family treasury of memories.
     May all your memories be good ones, warm ones, and may you always build new ones. Share them with your kids and keep the family chain an ongoing process, a good one.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment