Thursday, April 30, 2015

THE BROADBAND NIGHTMARE OF CENTURY VILLAGE

     Greetings from the Windy City where I am going to the premiere of a movie made by my granddaughter's eighth grade as a senior project called Names Not Numbers. My time is not my own over the next week so postings will  probably be coming on at odd times, not my usual early morning ones. Bear with me. Thank you.
     Since I had a connecting flight and a layover, I had time to read The Rag, not just skim it and lo and behold two truths came about. One, it is a rag with very little to read carefully. Nor does it truly give information about the Village. Second, there was a ridiculous article by David Israel on broadband and proudly written under a big banner RESEARCHED BY DAVE ISRAEL. Well, the research is nothing to write home about and if you Google "How do I Know if I Have Broadband" you will find all the same info or most of it. Not a project of rocket science category!!!!
     Well, I dozed off after reading this scintillating piece of journalism and proceeded to have a nightmare of sorts That same feeling of deja vu was right there. Did we not have this discussion
about Wi Fi before, for all broadband is, is the high speed connection to the Internet, any connection that is not dial up. It is always on. So, people, despite the act that this is presented as if Saint David got this from the lord on high at the sacred UCO building, this is common knowledge and as such WE ALREADY HAVE BROADBAND IN THE VILLAGE. I HAVE IT, MOST OF YOU HAVE IT AND IF ANYONE IS STILL ON DIAL UP, THEY WILL NOT BE INTERESTED IN BROADBAND ANYWAY!!!
     The whole concept is in a state of flux right now and the federal government and private industry as well as local governments are trying to figure things out so once again, why the hell are we getting involved in something that is already here, now, in the Village, that will cost us millions again, when we would be smarter to wait before committing ourselves as a whole unit. Do we not have enough problems what with unsavory characters moving in, taking over associations, roads collapsing, an irrigation system that needs help, an infestation of water moccasins and not shoes! and the list goes on. And here is where the nightmare got scary.
     David Israel  talks of health and e-commerce, of electronic government sites, of security, of cameras being installed all over the Village, more Big Brother business, VOIP, which is already here!, work possibilities.
     Well, suddenly, I was walking in the Village and there were all sorts of zombie like people with computers strapped to their shoulders, just under their chins and their fingers were hard wired to the keyboard. They were typing, "I've fallen and I can't get up", over and over again, as a practice session. Meanwhile, there were cars driving along in the "usual careful manner" of CV driving, and these people were getting mowed down! BY THE DOZENS!!
     Then there were people with computers for heads going to every person and telling them they had to get a job with computer connections, fast connections, and if they did not, they would fall and not be picked up. I cried out that I did not want to work, that I am retired, and leave me alone. In response, I was pushed down but luckily I had my cellphone with me and did not need a locket. I dialed 911 and those great EMTs were there in the blink of an eye.
     I ran back to my unit but suddenly there was a picture of David Israel and Ed Black on my wall! They were shouting, "We are the government and we want to interact with you and your official dealings!" At that point I screamed. And woke up.
     When I woke up from my scary doze the most frightening thing was to realize that this nightmare could come true. Once more we must fight this nonsense. Once more we have to stand firm and say no.  Once more we have to ask questions and please note that no where in the article are there answers to any real questions like exactly what will this cost? What infrastructure is needed? What if one already has broadband and is not interested in going in whole hog with the Village, especially with concern about our security, especially from nosy people who live in the Village, let alone outside. What about governmental interaction? Maybe we think that the government is good in its place - and that place is not in my business. Taxes are enough! and I am not concerned about health via the Internet, thank you. I prefer my doctors up front and live.
     So, again, we do not need this. We already have it and the few people that are still dial up, they are happy with it and leave them alone. As for the rest of us, many already have that fast and always on connection so what the heck are you babbling on and on about. Give it a rest.















rocket scie reresearch is nothing to write hime

No comments:

Post a Comment