Thursday, September 7, 2017

IT"S A'COMIN'!

    Writing now as I sit in my place of refuge, away from the path of the hurricane - and hope it will not find me in NY as did Sandy. The airport was crazy with large crowds at 4:30 AM and people were rolling around looking for parking space, schlepping heavy suitcases with grandchildren taking their grandparents to safety, old sons taking even older fathers and whole families of little ones. Saddest of all were little old ladies trying to move the heavy suitcases along the carpeting in the concourse and ticketing counter. Everyone tried to figure out what to take - clothes, memories, what was important? What to save? The wedding album? A picture album? An antique and how does one choose which one?
     Whenever I talk of the possibilities of Irma and what could happen, I start to shake and shiver. Not easy to picture starting all over again at 69. Not easy to think that one's life as such is over. Where to get the strength and where to rebuild that life - here, with an adult child? And yet, the people in the airport were the quietest and politest crowd I have seen there in a long time. JetBlue actually got out exactly on time and got in early - what a change. Imagine what could be done all the time!
     So what did I take. First I was defiant. Nothing comes other than clothes. And then I cried at the thought of leaving everything behind. I scanned my collections, especially my Judaica and thought how I collected it, finding these things in thrift stores and estate sales. But I left them.
     I kept looking and evaluating and made my choices. I took a favorite picture of my parents at an affair, smiling and looking great, close together as they were all their lives. I took a compact that my mom had given me at 16 - finally allowed to put on makeup - a  little anyway. I kept it with me since then. I took my little Groot for it reminds me of the fun Gerry and I have going to the movies, chatting about it and sharing movie discussions with grandchildren. Anyway, Groot is just so cute.
     And then a story for the future to laugh about. We cleaned the fridge and freezer, some of which stuff we had just bought. Then I looked at the fancy cheeses we had brought from NY on last visit and I stamped my foot and said NO and into a suitcase they went. I looked at the two containers of pickles that I loved and made a spoiled face and somehow figured out how to take them and in they went, along with a salami from my favorite company and a better smelling suitcase you never had. Inspected at security people came over to smell the appetizing aroma. The driver taking us from the airport loved the aroma. Some people took treasures and so did we, but perhaps of a different kind. Who knows what is best?
     Today was not a day to talk of the aggravating Trump or David Israel. Today was a day to talk of the hurricane, of the future and what will be. It was a day to worry over friends who remain in the path and the prayers for them to be safe.
     Today was a day when we all took stock of our "stuff' and all realized that losing it will or would be hurtful, painful and yes, worth crying over, but to add to that the fact that we have our loved ones and that is the best of all.
     May you all keep safe. May you all not lose too much. May Irma go away, out to the east far away from us or at least lose her fierceness. Hang in there. I am praying I have a home to return to. All we can do is wait. And hope. And pray. And for my readers overseas and in the country away from Irma, add your prayers to ours and who knows? Maybe we will be heard and get the answer in a positive manner. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment