Monday, January 29, 2018

LINES

     There are lines in life. There are lines on the palms of one's hands. There are red lines we draw and lines in the sand but I think we are all forgetting other lines. These are the lines which connect us to one another, lines that can be drawn in either hate or love, or even in neutrality, if that is truly possible, but the bottom line is that we must pay more attention to them.
     I normally never watch the awards shows having more appetizing and useful things to do, but this year it was another story, another line of emphasis that I had to see, that I had to draw in my own life and psyche.
      It was one thing to see the determined line that was drawn by the women who dressed in black at one show, but it was a line of another color at last night's Grammys. White roses for some, but mainly the drawing of the line using music, that which seeks to soothe the souls but was used here instead as a prod, an accusing finger and yet also a line that leads into the future with hope, with passion, with tears and with strength.
     So while the political world was covered with jagged lines of hate, of accusation, of lies, of despair, of so much desperation by people seeking to deny truth and hide truth, in this world there were lines that were drawn beneath points to be made, but also lines which appealed to the better part of ourselves.
     Among so many great and moving moments here are two that truly impacted upon me. One was the lines spoken and one were the lines sung, a particularly touching and powerful piece.
     There has been an increasing trend of women singing songs of defiance, of triumph, of being stronger, better, surviving despite all that a man and the world has tried to do to them. Kesha's song, Praying, especially as sung last nite with a performance bolstered by so many famous singers, was so powerful that it is almost beyond words. Do your self a favor and You Tube it, Google it, whatever, but watch it. Feel it. Take it within your soul. Say those words and feel those statements of strength.
     And then remember these words."Black is beautiful. Hate is ugly. Women are as precious as they are stronger than any other man than I have met," Logic said at the end of the song. "And up to them I say stand tall and crush all predators under the weight of your heart that is full of the love they will never take away from you. Be not scared to use your voice, especially in instances like these when you have the opportunity. Stand and fight for those who are not weak, but have yet to discover the strength that the evil of this world has done its best to conceal. "To all the beautiful countries filled with culture and diversity and thousands of years of history, you are not s---hole countries. And lastly, on the behalf of those who fight for equality in a world that is not equal, not just and not ready for the change, we are here to bring, I say, up to you bring us your tired, your poor and any immigrant that seeks refuge, for together we can build not just a better country, but a word that is destined to be united."

     Now on a personal note. Yesterday I placed my blog entry re Parkinson's on my Facebook page, having the courage to put it out there where I knew my personal world would see it, read it and hopefully feel it. I was hoping that new lines could be drawn, lines of compassion and lines of strength. Lines of connection, rather than lines of separation and challenge in a negative manner. And I was rewarded far beyond any expectations. A world of love came  back to me, a world of encouragement, a world of voices old and new, a world where my strengths were recalled, words which urged me to remember who and what I was and am - a fighter who never gives up.
     So here are my lines:
     I will not give up, not with the world of PD nor with the world. As far as my puny influence can be made to pay off in drawing or redrawing the lines we now have in this world - I will continue to do so. May not frighten off any baddies, but it makes me feel better!!
     I draw a line of gratitude to all those who sent me words that buoyed me up. I thank those who drew lines of love, of acceptance, of caring.
     May we all know these lines far more frequently than the lines of hatred and bias, of threats and of impending danger, the lines that seem at times to overwhelm our modern world. Let us choose our lines with care and with thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment