Tuesday, July 20, 2021

'SPLAIN ME THIS

  As an avid reader my whole life, as a teacher who delighted in introducing kids to new words, a richer vocabulary, as a moderately intelligent person who could converse on many a topic, I thought I was okay with vocabulary in its living, ever changing form and format. Well, I was evidently wrong, for I do not understand today's changes in many cases.

So 'splain me this. How did the word "woke" lose its rather positive meaning and turn into a curse word for many, to be flung at their opponents. What is the new meaning that has left me behind in great confusion. 'I woke up." It used to mean that at some time one aroused from a sleep of some duration. Or, one woke up when they realized some truth or other that had heretofore eluded them. All good and fine. Now, how and why did that change? Why is it no longer a good thing, a positive turn of events to gain more insight into the truth, into reality? 

We apparently have had a mass phenomenon of losing sensibility. Asked to define "woke", half said it means supporting racial equality. When did that turn into a bad thing? Guess I missed the boat on that one. Thankfully. Other nefarious categories? Supporting economic reform due to its ever growing inequality. Supporting equal rights for LGBTQ. Still struggling here, for again, when did these  become an evil thing, part of an apparent "deep state" that also, incidentally, ran a child trafficking business, mostly, no less, out of a pizza storefront.

My confusion groweth by leaps and bounds, for seemingly I have been somewhere else my entire life. Well, blame it on the usual rascals - the parents. They were evidently so misguided when they tried to teach me principles. Their energies should have been better spent on teaching me about the good side (is there any?) of inequality, of a segment of society remaining hopeless, desperate to meet basic needs of all people, of understanding the 'right' of some to oppress others. 

We all missed that train, or bought one way tickets, for I was taught that the right all possessed was to take those rights and earn their survival. Work, play fair, play nice, do the right thing, remember morals, be kind and sympathetic, lend a helping hand, demand that all work, contribute to society and its improvement. By the way, that included all within its categories. No one got a free ride on that train of ignorance and hatred. Two way ticket, please.

Today, it seems that this old and creaky, polluting train of unfair, of a superior class, of cheaters, of unfair burden bearing, of hatred, including violence, allowed because one is 'different', is back. Puff, puff it went, spewing bad smoke, polluting the air we breathe, changing the morals and outlook of too many. Woke became a bad thing, so what? Staying asleep is a good thing? What is the opposite of the new term woke? I struggle here, folks. Need some 'splainin', I do. However, do I really want it?

So the GOP apparently thinks that cheating on income taxes, not paying fair share of societal costs, is a good thing. Thus the 'right' thing to do is vote, like robots, against any bill that would change this status quo. Furthermore, allowing all to participate in this wonderful, creaky, tattered, needing rehab democratic experiment of America, is an outgrown concept. So to be woke is to be for the above and anti anything that  speaks otherwise. Aha! Got it! No, I do not. Nor do I want it.

This 'splainin' effort is losing ever more traction with me. Here is an attempt of one to define it for me. 

"The term "woke" generally refers to someone who is aware of social issues such as racial prejudice and discrimination."      

 Do you agree? What about the inevitable tail? That the word woke "has increasingly become a divisive word in political circles."

Really?

Now where are we as I remain confused, at sea, on a  lost train, a foundering ship, a stuttering car. Guess I am old fashioned to believe that right is right and wrong is wrong. That to wake up is a good thing. That to realize that the words of Leduc, the attorney for a rebel, are so telling.  "If you want to go in there and you want to defend that, that's not defensible,".. They need to come in, they need to step up, they need to accept responsibility."   How could that be wrong?  There go more free hours for me as my poor overtaxed brain needs more 'splainin'. Oh, heck, where is that creaky train? That is the one I want, I need, we all need, desperately, no matter what! Anyone joining me? All I can promise is a rough train ride over neglected rails but the end station is one of good things. I promise. No explanations needed.

Anyone coming? All welcome. All aboard!



       

No comments:

Post a Comment