Sunday, September 5, 2021

UNCI MAKA - A PRAYER

  Grandmother Earth, give me strength. A prayer to the spirits, to the G-d, by any name, that will give strength, encouragement, and endurance to the one who prays. It is a recognition that we, humanity, are tied to the earth, whether we like it or not. We share a fate, a commonality of life or death, and the sooner we realize that, the better we are. So many of us do not realize that, sadly so.

I was among those who did not. I would admire a view, comment in awe at amazing structures of Nature, enjoy walks in the fresh air, but when the day was done, there were other things on my mind. Vaguely, I paid attention to news of a forest fire. With half attention I paid heed to a flood, tsked, tsked, and went on with my life. But Nature has a way of gaining one's attention, like it or not. For good and for bad.

As Nature goes, so do we. As it warms up, via natural process and our errors, we face ever growing crises of survival - with no plans, no ideas how to alleviate what is coming right down that track, only a few stations before it bears down on us. Well, the time has come when it is imperative that we pay attention, lest we doom ourselves,  hoist by our own petard. 

However, there is a good side to valuing Nature, other than survival. It is a process which will enrich one's life, lead to hidden treasures and hidden, never even known to be there, talents. It is a wonderful side to find out the hidden secrets and strengths of Grandmother Nature, to discover the riches hidden behind plain covers, or deep within one's soul.

Personally, I have found a new and exciting world that has given me a focus, an interest, with which to survive through two tough years and who knows how much further into the future. It is an interest and possible talent that can go with me. It has deepened the tones of colors, shapes, of Nature, taught me appreciation for the hidden beauties that need to be found beneath their covers that hide the stunning beauty underneath.

There are other advantages. A new world of people with similar interests evolves. New knowledge is gained, even sought after, as new talents are honed, deepened by this new knowledge. The quest is exciting. It is mysterious. It is enriching. Furthermore, there can be a daring foray into the world of sales, of having people buy your work, the soul satisfaction from recognition and appreciation.

I have discovered a larger world than I ever truly knew had existed. It is a world I appreciate greatly. It is a world which continues to grow. It is a world which I love - the beauties of wood, hidden beneath drab bark. The beauty of pebbles and stones, often gleaming with color and sparkle. The combined beauty of pieces of the earth, of Nature, as they come together with wonderful mind blowing synergy. The rewards are endless.

There is a downside. One feels the pain of a living earth as it is trampled upon by its inhabitants. One agonizes as one sees the loss of trees, their benefits, the desperate need we have of them, ignored by fools. We watch graphs of temperatures, of rain, of drought and flood, of warfare over diminishing resources. We cry for the determined ignorance of humanity as we contribute to the destruction of our home - Earth.

And I cry for those who refuse to venture into a world that awaits them. The joys of creation. The beauty of wood wall art, of wood creations, of paintings of abstract beauty and colors. There is almost no better feeling than that. The wonder at the beauty that comes through the manipulations of paint brush and hammer and nail. 

I love it. I love the creations. I love the imagination. I love the colors. I love the feeling of positive construction and results. I love the personal growth. I love the ever stronger connection to and with the Earth.

Unci maka - may we all have the ability and the wisdom to ask for the strength of Grandmother Earth and be privileged to add to it.

And hey, if I manage to sell a few pieces, well, that is the whipped cream on top- no cherry as I do not like them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment